Saturday, October 24, 2009

What do I need to host my own web server at home with DSL if I use DNS2go?

I%26#039;ve turned on IIS on my computer at home and other computers on my local network can access the website I set up so I know the web site and the server are working. I know very little about DNS and nameservers, but basically I got this thing called DNS2go which is supposed to allow people without static IP addresses to host a website. DNS2go is a program that you put on your server that continuously updates your current IP address whenever it changes with the DNS2go website. All you do is point your registered domain name to their nameservers and it is supposed to work. I know the DNS2go service has pointed my domain name to my IP address, but for some reason, when you type in my domain name outside of my network (anywhere else) it won%26#039;t work.



Do I need to call AT%26amp;T or what?



PLEASE HELP!!!!



What do I need to host my own web server at home with DSL if I use DNS2go?





More then likely your router or software firewall is stopping your server from being accessed from the internet side. If you are using a router you need to place your server computers IP address in the DMZ of the routers firewall.



What do I need to host my own web server at home with DSL if I use DNS2go?



You need to do port forwarding on your DSL router.



Also I am assuming that you do not hand out DHCP addresses to your web server. Ensure that it always gets the same IP, if you do or better set a static IP for the webserver.



That should work. If it doesn%26#039;t pls let me know.



Other Replys:Sounds like you need to open a port or ports in your router. I think IIS uses port 80, but I%26#039;m not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive