Monday, October 12, 2009

If I have a web site hosted on my computer how do I make or get a domain name?

You have to purchase one, however I would suggest not hosting the website on your computer as the site will be slow, your internet will slow down, and no one can access your site when your computer is off.



If you sign up with a webhost, you can get a free domain.



I can recommend http://www.startlogic.ca I%26#039;ve used them for nearly 3 years and hosted about 20 websites with them. Price is $5.95/ month and they offer toll free support (1-800) which is a must, and a 30 day moneyback guarantee. You can also have up to 50 separate websites per account.



You can also try http://www.easier-hosting.com they offer some good hosting reviews.



Jordan



If I have a web site hosted on my computer how do I make or get a domain name?





Visit website of any domain registrar. www.registrars.com, networkdomain.com or a million of them are available.



Search for a suitable domain name. Then you register it at some cost. You then have to buy hosting space. That costs you around 50 - 100 dollars an year.



Some hosts bundle both the offers, some offer at a phenominally low cost or free of cost.



Then you upload your html files to your host space by using ftp client software.



If I have a web site hosted on my computer how do I make or get a domain name?



Besides being slow and not being available when your computer is down, there are other issues...



1) Running a server is most likely against the terms of service of your ISP... meaning that your account can be suspended.



2) It%26#039;s not just about having the web server.. for it to function properly, you need correctly configured domain name servers too... especially if there%26#039;s going to be outbound email from your server, meaning you%26#039;ll have to add SMTP and POP3 or possibly IMAP to the mix. Definitely not a project for the faint-of-heart.



If you%26#039;re simply looking for a way to server pages without committing to a monthly fee or putting up with advertisements, there is some good news... I just found a web host that is completely free (as in no money AND no ads). I%26#039;ve started doing a review/write-up on them here...



http://www.hesitantrhino.com/free-web-ho...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive