Friday, October 30, 2009

Can I host my web site on my office computer?

How to host my web site on my office



Can I host my web site on my office computer?





You will need to subscribe to a fixed IP address with your ISP, this costs extra. Most of them will also require you to subscribe to a business broadband package. You then need to register the domain name and set the registrar%26#039;s dns A, CNAME, MX and PTR records to point to you address. Your router will need ports forwarded as required to your internal private machine address and the same ports open in the firewall.



Can I host my web site on my office computer?



Most companies have very strict policies against this. Reason being... if you host a web site from your office computer (which is, no doubt, on a local area network), you are giving outsiders a direct route into your network. If a person knows what they%26#039;re doing, they can get into your companies network through your open computer. Not a good thing!



Best thing to do is, if your company is willing to offer you their bandwidth for your website, see if you can%26#039;t get your computer placed on the DMZ (de-militarized zone). This opens the computer%26#039;s ports for the public to view your web page, but does not give the outsiders a peek into your company%26#039;s private network.



Chances of you actually hosting your site on your company%26#039;s network... pretty slim.



Other Replys:You can, but this web pages will be viewable to the office lan users only. Unless your office computer is a http or WWW server others will not be able to see it.



Other Replys:Probably not because the only computer on the network that will be cleared by the firewall for HTTP requests will be the companies web server.



But:



On the other hand if it is your PRIVATE office and you are connected to a router or have a fixed IP then yes, this is only suitable for small amounts of traffic though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive