Friday, October 30, 2009

Can I put a webpage I built online by storing files on an ftp site or do I need to sign up with a we

My cable company offers me a limited amount of online storage at an ftp site. Can I use this site to put my website online?



Can I put a webpage I built online by storing files on an ftp site or do I need to sign up with a web host?





Yes, you totally can. After you%26#039;ve uploaded the files (including at least one file called index.html) you can just browse to your FTP space address in your browser to see the site. Building webpages is pretty much what these free FTP spaces that ISPs hand out are for.



Can I put a webpage I built online by storing files on an ftp site or do I need to sign up with a web host?



Often, one uses an FTP server to send the files to the site, and the HTTP server to serve the pages to the public. The two programs (FTP Daemon and HTTP Daemon) often and typically do reside on the same machine. They obviously perform different functions, but I think that given this piece of information, you can figure out how they work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive